|Department in brief |
- the department commemorated sixty school years of education and research in school year 2013-2013 (we started teaching in 1952/1953),
- since 2013 the department adjusted its official name to the Department of Human Geography and Demography,
- it is consisting of two divisions – Human Geography (1) and Demography and Demogeography (2),
- currently the department has two professors, four associate professors, 14 lecturers and researchers, four administrative and technical staff and 17 PhD students,
- we are the only department specialised on education and training in human geography and demography in Slovakia. We co-operate extensively in education activities with other three departments of geography integrated into Geographical Section of the Faculty of Natural Sciences of the Comenius University, as well as with colleagues based in Statistical Office of the Slovak Republic and Demographic Research Centre (INFOSTAT) in Bratislava.
- we are providing education in following programmes:
- geography in state administration and self-government (bachelor: daily – three years, distant – four years),
- geography and demography (bachelor – daily – three years),
- human geography and demography in state administration and self- government (master: daily and distant – two years),
- human geography and demography (doctoral: daily – four years, distant – five years).
- our bachelor and master programmes were substantially modernised and confirmed its accreditation during previous two years,
- in school year 2013/2014 more than 120 students started to study our programmes at bachelor level (in first year). At the same moment, more than 90 students started in our master level programme. We have five new doctoral students (3 daily, 2 in distant form). There were four PhD theses successfully defended at the department during school year 2012/2013.
- the department has well developed network of partnerships, including those serving for Erasmus exchange (University of Portsmouth, Queen Mary - University of London, Bremen University, Freie University Berlin, Adam Mickiewicz University Poznan, Warsaw University, Charles University Prague, University Szeged, Canterbury Christ Church University, University de León, University of Minho – Guimares, L. Eötvös University Budapest),
- since 2005, we prepared 13 new or updated university textbooks in Slovak,
- in 2008-2012 department’s staff published 11 studies registered in database Current Contents; during 2011-2012 there were more than 80 citations of our works registered in WoS and SCOPUS databases,
- we are working on 5 research projects funded by research agencies in Slovakia, two other projects funded from EU sources in Slovakia (in wider partnerships), not mentioning other international projects supported from various sources and with various partners,
- during school year 2012/2013, the department hosted set of scientific events:
- SEEMIG - „Managing Migration and its Effects in SEE“ - launching conference (September 2012),
- COST project meeting „Cities re-growing smaller“ (March 2013),
- international seminar “Finance in Transition / Financialization & Governance: Lessons for the Future” (May 2013) in co-operation with IGU and RSA,
- regular are our consultancy activities and research on behalf of various public administration and commercial entities,
- the department is deeply involved in activities of IGU Commission on Geography of Governance (see www.igu-gog.org).